Skip to main content

Brother, You're a great liar

BROTHER, YOU'RE A GREAT LIAR! 
a story about Brother and Sister


"Yaay! Brother. I am qualified for eleven!" Soelzom exclaims over joyously to her brother Namgyal. She comes from her friend house checking her class ten result which is declared on that particular day, 19th of January.

"Oh! Are you sure?" Enquires Namgyal impressively in out-and-out astonishment.

"Yaup. I am qualified for eleven!" She replies in full escatsy and continues, "You too could have studied, bro."

"Oh! Yeah, but....!"He says in a low voice with full of tears on the 'circled-rings-of-his-eyes'.

"Bro, what happened? " She enquires with bit fear in her voice.

"Ahh! Nothing. Am all right. " He simulates himself in normal swing.

"If you're all right, why tears in your eyes then?" She inquires inquisitively for certain something wrong is going by dint of her brother.

"About this tears? You won't grasp the value of this now.  It's tears of happiness sissy!" He says making himself presentable to convince her.

As she is yet a young girl and credulous besides , she was conveyed by that simple pretence itself.

"Sissy, let's go for supper. I have deliciously prepared for you." He proposes. Both of them go and enjoy the dish. He has given her love and care that equals parents', hence, she never feels a need of parents.

"Wow! Mushroom 'datshi'. My favourite dish. I can eat many plates!" She sniffs the warm vapour that diffuses bestreaming the whole room. She compliments him for preparing her favourite meals.  Supper time is the ideal moment for him as he can dispell all his endeavours conversing with his charming little sister, his only life.
                        ********

"Hello! Sissy. Wake up, it's 6 o'clock. "He says to her. She is so childish that she doesn't bother to heed.

"Sissy.....wake up, it's 6 o'clock. You will be late for school. "He anew for the second time says bringing her a bed-tea that is being prepared with love. There is a general belief that when someone prepares either meals or tea or whatever it may be with love, it likely tastes sweet.

"Aww! Bro, am still feeling sleepy.  I will wake up at half past six." She replies idly still yawning heavily.

"No, no, no.....my sister. It will be late. Till now my charming sister is never late and will be never late, too. You're so energetic.  You will wakeup, I know. " He coaxes her like a baby.

"Bro, can you reach me to school? "She requests erubescently.
"Why not? Your brother is ever ready. "He replies so as not to let her feel a need of parents.
"I love you bro!" She says hitting his chest with her small hands.
"Mention not sister. "He says and grabs her under his homely broad chest.
                       ********

"Sissy, you're now in school. Study smart, I will come in the evening to take you home. See you soon!"He bids adieu to her and then she too--both of them exchange a good-bye.

When his sister crosses the school gate, he accelerates hastily with the exception of wink to his daily mundane work; a hell and dungeon for him!

"Why are you late, Namgyal? " Enquires his boss, who is a colossal, dark and tall man adorned with curled mustache that practically covers his mouth which makes him so frightening.

"I...uh.....reached my sister to her school. " He replies with shiver in his voice.
"You too have your sister? Ha!ha! No problem. Now go to your work. " He commands .

To suffer is his daily routine. He has to carry countless heaps of cements, bricks and sand all the day on end for the construction with the exception of meals, such is his vile life! He is exhausted and his joints pain and effectors fatigue . The sweats engulf his whole body. There is no option left for him to earn cakes for the expenses of his sister's study and survival. So, he is stubborn and opts to endure . No rest and peaceful life, he has to put up like Indians in the scorching sun which is a labour-intensive. When eventide approaches raping the picturesque twilight, he has to reach school to get her back home.

He looks at his watch and it shows slap bang 5:30 post meridian. He darts to his villa, washes his body by leaps and bound and makes off to school. There, he sees his sister lone in the gate, waiting for him like a buffalo waiting for the return of yak who erstwhile told that he would bring him salts from Tibet but haven’t turned up. He can see her palms covering her face, probably crying.

"Sissy? I am here." He says rather courteously .
"Brother, all are home. Why are you late?" She enquires with flooding tears in her pearly eyes. This sounds enough to break his feeble heart into trillion of fragmentations and bursts into tears abruptly.

"Brother, why are you crying? Am not angry to wait for you. Please, stop crying, otherwise I will too. It pains me seriously when I see tears in your eyes. "She affirms gazing directly into the deep dark eyes of her brother. These words are too much to bear from his ever so innocent sister , his only life. He sheds tears with his blistered broad hands and pretends as if he isn't hurt.

"Am not in the least crying sister.  Look at me. Your brother is happy. "He consoles her , a piece of his heart, gaily. Both of them embrace tightly.
"Are you her brother? "Enquires a beautiful lass who seems angel in comparasion heading towards the quarter .
"Bro , my class teacher. " She physically prods him.
"Oh! Good Evening ma'am. Yup, definitely. " He responds, scratching his head.
"She is indeed a good student in my class and is good in study besides. "She praises her and continues, "Okay bye, it's getting dark."

"OK bye ma'am." Both of them do farewell.
By then, it is round about dusk and they hurry to home hastily. He opens the door of their house, a small house built with help of bamboo which can be seen in the outskirts of Bhutan, and switches on the lights.
"Sissy. ...get yourself dressed and go for your study in your cell." He says to her.
"No. I will help you cook food. You are tired. Actually you know, cooking food is girls' obligation. I will study later." She offers.
"Nop, that is yesteryear's tradition. In this current era, even a man can afford . You go and study, I will bring tea for you." He sends his sister for study. He smiles to himself knowing that his sister is growing up and is in the ability to analyse the situation. It impresses and amuses him incredibly.
"Sister. Tea for you." He gives a cup of tea and a plate of biscuits to her and keeps for him as well and continues, "Burn your midnight candle and put your shoulder to the wheel, it will undoubtedly be of some aids for you in your nearing future. "

I know that bro, and I will keep you with me too." She says which denotes out of question her maturity and analysing power.
"Hah! Your wrinkled brother will live here in this old hut only. You can keep me updated about your success and life. Or visit me at any time you prefer best for you and I too will visit you frequently. "He replies impressively and then she hugs him gently. "OK, you keep yourself engrossed with study. I will go to kitchen and prepare supper. '
                     ***********

Precisely after two years, she seats for her BCSE exams. 'This is the turning point of her life', he thinks. He prays for her success and she too puts her heart and soul in her studies. He even not allow her to sweep her own room at this moment -- such a  loving and considerate brother. Finally, she successfully completes her examinations. Now it was time for them to aspire for long awaited result out. Both of them eagerly wait for the result declaration, even though Namgyal was illiterate.
                      *********

"Lo!....Brother-r-r-r.........I am qualified! "She exclaims on top of her shrill plus melodious voice to him who is engrossed in washing the dishes.
"That's Great of You! Lest thank God first. I knew you can do that." He compliments.
"But....."She stops and finds herself dumbfounded.
"But? What happened? " He says , concerned.
"But.....brother.....how can you afford to pay Nu. 150,000 for the expenses?" She finds herself dazed.
"Haha...only that much? That is a less amount, you need not have to worry. " He says calmly, although he was full of bubbling anxieties how he can afford such a huge sum, moreover by the people like him who is starving to get a plate of food.
                            *******

From the subsequent day, he keeps her at home and fibs that he is going to the bank to take out money which he has deposited hithertho. She stands by him until he arrives at night.
"Brother,  did you bring money?" She enquires remarkably with bated breath.
"Ahh! Today the Bank was closed due to certain maintenance. I couldn't bring. I will go tomorrow , is that okey?" He replies, though his facial expression talks more than that.
Early in the morning, before the path could be seen in its natural origin, he goes to the Bank. She hangs on him until he arrives at late night anew or de novo.
"Brother, had you brought money today then?"She reposes the akin question.
"Oh! Today the Bank Manager  (BNB) was on leave , I couldn't bring. Tomorrow I will obviously bring." He says sorrowfully and turns in.
"Bro, dinner then?"
"I already have had, you can. " He says with lamented expression in his voice, which was queer demeanor being observed.
"He doesn't eat with other than me or eat anywhere else either ." She whispers to herself. "Something wrong is obviously going with him." She smells a rat.

She doesn't sleep the whole night nor winks due to the repetition of akin thought popped one after another randomly like as if they are waiting in a procession and haunted her the whole night. Early in the morning before the dawn succumbs, she can hear the squeak of the door. She silently and softly gets up from her bed and walks tiptoes and peeps through the keyhole. There, she sees him clearing off the door.

'Why is he going too early?'She marvels. Then after prolong thoughts, she makes her mind up to follow him. She follows him until surprisingly finds him thrutching himself inside the construction site. Before that he seems to look backward to ensure his sister not following him. ALAS! Then he commences to unload the heaps of cements from the lorry. She finally discovers the concealed truth! She unconsciously keeps on peeping through the chasm of the wall. Such a treacherous and enduring scene where his blistered body was staggering with heavy loads and wholly engulfed by the perspirations flooded her pearly eyes with fain full tears. She continues watching the conditions of her brother's true life sobbing standstill like a lifeless statue.

Eventually, an Indian labourer says after seeing her staring,"This lad has been enduring so much more than us for his adopted sister's study and nowadays he is suffering for her collage expenses. "This brings her to normalcy and shakes the whole world inside out!
Now excited she asks, "Is his sister really an adopted one? Don't he have anybody? "She asks the slimy Indian.
"Yeah.....and he too don't have anyone and he himself is a footpath-grown man."He says without proper pronunciation of the words delivered. He seems kind Indian, and goes putting his hands inside his national dress so-called 'dhoti'

This is so heart-touching, a brother sacrificing his happiness endlessly for the  happiness of his adopted sister. Then she appears in front of him because his selfless sacrifice was worthier than her own life. Namgyal is taken aback by the immediate and a bolt from the blue appearance of his sister who might have seen or heard which he wanted to keep it for himself and this makes him burst into tears.

"Brother, truth is truth! You're a great liar! Why didn't you say me that am not your blood-sibling and about yourself too?"She weeps embracing tightly her feeble brother.  "You were still too young to be disclosed and bear the reality and what's more, I never wanted you to know about this stuff as it surely makes you feel a bit away." He says weeping her crystal rolling tears. "Nah...never will I" She says gazing at him. Both of their eyes are full of tears.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SOULMATE; a story of a True-Lovers

  SOULMATE: A Tragic Story of a True-Lovers .........a heart-touching love story............. "Hi!...." Greeted Yoezer. "Oh!....hello bro" I greeted back. He was really ecstatic to meet me and was amusingly cuddling me. I could glance the immense ecstasy in his tears that glisten like the white ray of light propagating by dint of prism but the fact is, he isn't grieving instead dropping the tears of joy. "Am really glad to meet you Jigme, my childhood friend!" He was practically and emotionally sobbing. "Yoezer....I understood how much you're glad...don't shed your tears bro." I consoled him. His affirmation really touched my heart and to be honest, I almost burst into tears. "That's great of you! I anticipated that from you." He remarked enthusiastically. '' Thanks bro." I thanked him. "Welcome!" He replied. He was amused by mine demeanor. I am also greatly blessed to have suc

Fate Is Cruel

Fate Is Cruel~ SK Monger   I was by then only five years old when I was admitted to the newly launched Kindergarten, a five miles away school from my villa. I couldn't walk like the strong boys do, trotting like a well-built horse. Girls were by my side but only when I got something to offer them, such were them . I tholed a lot to complete my Pre-Primary schooling. As me being a girl who have to walk a long distance, I was exhausted and fatigued. When I felt hungry, I ate those maize corn packed in a shawl which my mother used to wrap me when I felt cold when I was yet a toddler . I haven't got that privilege to be with my father that other children get. When enquired my mom usually warned me not to ask it again but the fact is still confidential and mysterious.   With constant persistent and eternal endurance, I completed my Primary Schooling and got transferred to the Middle Secondary School which is yet afar. I was all the time isolated, not had confidence to approach other